New Year Resolutions – Do you make them, do you keep them? It’s hard to stick with things that we “resolve” to do for an entire year. I’m going to give you something to think about for the upcoming year: Resolve to create a home safety plan, to practice it and to involve your entire family. If may just be the most important resolution you ever make.
Home and personal safety and security is not that difficult to fortify, whatever your current plan is now and especially if you have no current plan. Here are some basics:
- Make a plan, and in that plan EVERYONE in your home plays a part. Even if you have very small children or grandchildren living with you, they will probably have “jobs” to do.
- Part of your plan may involve firearms, where they are, who has access to them, etc.
- Your plan should include communications, who calls 911, etc.
- Your plan should have “rally points” both inside and outside the home, and perhaps a “safe place” inside the home if they can get to it.
- It’s critical that everyone in your home know the plan, rehearse the plan and agree to abide by the plan.
As I said, it’s not that hard to come up with a simple plan, you just need to take the first step. If you want help creating a plan, I’m at your service.